Red dust in your pants…

Welford Sand Dune

Mountaineering is all about going up, and down mountains, and isn’t that a reflection of life in general!

There are the highs, and the lows…

As many of you will know I have been on a mission to climb amongst the world’s highest mountain peaks and this year I had two trips planned in Nepal.  But isn’t it funny how priorities in your life can change!

Recently I wrote about my sister, Deb (Merle) and the illness she is courageously facing.

Well, I’m pleased to say that her treatment is progressing in line with expectations, but there are good days and not so good days.

But her spirit is amazing!

A couple of weeks back I was sitting on the couch, pondering life in general, as I am inclined to do, and realised that I no longer felt the compelling urge or need to head to Nepal this year, but I wanted to go touring the great Australian Outback with my family…

And yes, I’ve never needed any encouragement to get Out and About – my love of Australia and the Outback is almost as great as the love I share for my family, for Merle…

I know many of you have been “rooting” (that is the US expression isn’t it – makes me chuckle though! ) for me to get up the mountain and I appreciate the support, and who knows, the desire may return, but I have things that have far important to me as a person right now…

I know you will understand.

Hey, that doesn’t mean I can’t go climbing in the Blue Mountains, so there is still some scope for “More Dope on a Rope”.

But strewth, I love the Outback, so I have reset my website back to my other passion!

Photo: Baz – The Landy

32 thoughts on “Red dust in your pants…

1. Naomi Baltuck March 2, 2015 / 4:00 am

Dear Baz,

Back in 1989 my husband and I cancelled five weeks in Scandinavia so I could go back to Detroit take care of my mom, and I never regretted the choice I made. It took almost twenty years, but we did get there and by that time we had kids to take with us, making it an even better trip than it would have been. I wish the best for you and your sister.

• Baz - The Landy March 2, 2015 / 9:51 am

Thanks sweetie, the choice was easy, spending time with my wonderful and special sister…

• Naomi Baltuck March 7, 2015 / 12:20 pm

I’m so glad you have each other! I have a sister like that too.

2. Gallivanta February 19, 2015 / 5:11 pm

Good mountains are two a penny and not hard to find. Special brothers and sisters are a much rarer treasure. The journeys we take with them, and for them, are the best we will ever take. Just saying….I have a brother and sister who would go to the ends of the earth for me.

• Baz - The Landy February 19, 2015 / 5:59 pm

And that is how I looked at it. A very special treasure indeed… Cheers, Baz

3. mmmmerle February 16, 2015 / 12:06 am

You are my inspiration BBB!!! I consider myself the luckiest person on this earth to have the unconditional love, support and acts of kindness that I witness each day from my family and friends…it blows me away and puts a smile permanently on my face and lifts my spirits. I am truly blessed and thank you all from the bottom of my heart for being who each of you are. x x x x

• Baz - The Landy February 16, 2015 / 12:11 pm

Wouldn’t have it any other way and looking forward to our trip! BBB

4. Sas February 15, 2015 / 12:52 am

Good for you Baz. I once planned to live in Canada for a year, but then things happened and I ended up coming back to Europe after less than six months. A lot of people said I was crazy for giving up my visa, but you’ve got to do what feels right for you 🙂

• Baz - The Landy February 16, 2015 / 12:09 pm

Thanks Sas, and this feels right! Cheers, Baz

5. Tiny February 14, 2015 / 3:37 pm

A wise decision. And to be honest, I’d rather have red dust in my pants than snow and ice…I’m eager to go to the outback, the further the better 🙂

6. desertrose7 February 12, 2015 / 6:45 pm

I am positive your journeys to the outback will give you the time and space to reflect on all that is important to you and where you go next Baz.

7. Wilder Man on Rolling Creek February 12, 2015 / 9:01 am

This is a cool post, Baz, as you speak into a larger story … the shift in directions on one’s journey, the freedom & wisdom to know when to hold off on one expedition, listening to your heart. You are a wilder man, Baz. I hope the best for you and your family.

• Baz - The Landy February 12, 2015 / 7:33 pm

Thanks big fella. At the risk of sounding a bit weird (strewth, what am I talking about, I am 🙂 ), but that is the universe speaking. I’ll let it take is course and see where it ends up! Cheers mate..

8. kathygiddins February 11, 2015 / 11:48 pm

Best of luck with trekking in the outback and send my love to your sister. 🙂 In Ireland we don’t “root” we say “go on ye boy ye.”

• Baz - The Landy February 12, 2015 / 7:31 pm

Strewth, you mob have funny sayings 😉

And thanks a million! Baz

9. ksbeth February 11, 2015 / 11:35 pm

i think this is a wonderful choice, baz. and yes, we love to say ‘rooting’ here in the states, as i am for your sister –

• Baz - The Landy February 12, 2015 / 7:31 pm

Thanks sweetie, in the end it wasn’t a choice that was difficult to make…she is a wonderful sister!

10. Barbara Grandberg February 11, 2015 / 6:48 pm

sending lots of healing/healthy thoughts to deb….btw, i enjoy al of the adventures….mountains….outback…..workouts in the shed……it’s all good :]

11. Lavinia Ross February 11, 2015 / 2:40 pm

There you are, Baz! I will “root” for whatever and wherever your spirit leads you. It’s that flaming red-haired, blue-eyed Outback that keeps you from The Mountain? Then so be it! Life itself is a mountain, isn’t it? Perhaps the only one that really matters in the end. It takes no less strength or fortutitude to scale it.

Give my best to Merle, and I am “rooting” for her, every day! 🙂

12. waexplorer February 11, 2015 / 2:06 pm

Cool, although I would have loved sharing your adventures of summiting a mountain, I’m looking forward to your outback stories and fantastic photos.

• Baz - The Landy February 11, 2015 / 3:11 pm

And rest assured, there will still be some of those, albeit, perhaps just in New Zealand for a while…

13. mhoustonfl February 11, 2015 / 1:52 pm

There are all sorts of summits, and they are all equally important! I look forward to hearing about the beautiful outback!

• Baz - The Landy February 11, 2015 / 3:10 pm

Thanks for that, and yes, there will still be summits!

14. Hopkins, Sheridan February 11, 2015 / 1:43 pm

It’s very brave to change your plans when you thought your mind was made up. It shows insight to be flexible to other priorities in your life.

Interesting that you can’t resist the land and I can resist the sea. I could never live inland. It is because I am Basque I am sure, the sea is in my bones

Still waters run deep on that Corporate Desk!

• Baz - The Landy February 12, 2015 / 7:41 pm

Well you know us on the other side of the desk, always flexible 😉

But, she is special to me, so it wasn’t that hard, we’ll have plenty of fun…

Basque hey, strewth, makes sense now!

Comments are closed.