About

About us…

We love the colours of the Australian Outback, the red earth touching a blue sky on a faraway horizon; and the fabulous coastline of our sunburnt country, where a golden sandy beach is washed over by a warm turquoise blue sea…

A few years ago we graduated from work and re-entered the classroom of life where an education is guaranteed and all that is needed is an open mind.

Cheers, Baz & Janet

169 thoughts on “About

1. Joy November 18, 2014 / 3:12 pm

Hey Baz,
    Thank you so much for checking out my blog, commenting and following – I really appreciate you taking the time! You’ve got some great ambitions here – looking forward to seeing you climb…virtually!
    Joy

Liked by 1 person

• Baz - The Landy November 18, 2014 / 3:36 pm

Crikey I’ll tell you what Joy, one step at a time, we can do it together!

And of course, if all else fails we’ll just remain out of control and see what develops! 😉 Baz

Liked by 1 person

2. healingpilgrim November 3, 2014 / 5:37 pm

Hey Baz, Good on you for this audacious plan.. wow, what an amazing adventure and feat you’ve set out for yourself. I crossed Thorong La Pass at just over 5,400m; I can only imagine the training and perseverance that you’ll require to reach the peak – blessings to you on your way… Thanks so much for visiting my blog and liking it too.. I look forward to following yours too!

• Baz - The Landy November 3, 2014 / 6:33 pm

Thanks, one step at a time, that is all it takes!

Cheers, Baz… 🙂

3. TyCobbsTeeth October 7, 2014 / 5:44 am

Hey Baz,
    Great blog!
    Thanks for sharing so much about Australia. I’ve never been and maybe never will, but I feel like I’ve just been on a trip there.
    Beautiful.
    Thanks, and Cheers!
    TyCobbsTeeth

4. wisemonkeysabroad February 26, 2014 / 7:14 am

Ahhh – fellow Sydney-sider! Love what we’ve read on your blog so far and keen to read about your mountain climbing & outback adventures….

• Baz - The Landy February 26, 2014 / 6:22 pm

You’ve got to love Sydney, and hopefully I can get back to the mountains soon for some adventure, but an outback trip is coming up…Cheers, Baz

5. MaldivesDreamer January 26, 2014 / 2:41 am

I love your blog! (and your accent – crikey!) 🙂 All the best and happy traveling, Irene

• Baz - The Landy January 26, 2014 / 8:49 am

Crikey – A Norwegian in the Maldives hey!

Thanks Irene 😉

6. Tim November 15, 2013 / 5:28 pm

Hi there,

I represent a small family business by the name of VisionSafe (http://www.visionsafe.com.au/) and we are currently putting together a flyer for our new outdoor adventure kit and I’m just wondering if we would be able to include one of your photos in the flyer?
    In particular we really like the “Old Cobb and Co Coach Route” photo as it works perfectly as a background image for the design we have come up with.

I don’t know whether you allow your photos to be used commercially but if so could you let me know?

Thanks Baz, love the blog btw.

7. Holistic Wayfarer October 14, 2013 / 7:25 am

Thanks so much for the follow. I am fascinated by your enterprising (more than even your enterprise. I mean your drive). I will let you know if I end up using a quote from your blog in my current series on greatness – or you’ll get a pingback when I link to you.

Diana

• Baz - The Landy October 14, 2013 / 7:36 am

Strewth, you’re thinking of tying me and greatness into the same sentence! You’d make me blush, that’s for sure.

Thank you for your kind words! 😉

8. Gallivanta October 9, 2013 / 5:58 pm

Just a hi from New Zealand. Been reading your comments on Tiny Lessons Blog.

• Baz - The Landy October 9, 2013 / 6:08 pm

Well thanks very much, and we love NZED, was climbing on Mt Aspiring earlier this year, and in the Franz Joseph Glacier area. Strewth, we’re thinking of annexing Wanaka to Australia (is that possible?) 😉

• Gallivanta October 9, 2013 / 6:15 pm

My Aussie Cousin would agree with you! Is that photo of you on Mt Aspiring?

• Baz - The Landy October 9, 2013 / 7:25 pm

Hi, no that is Grey’s Peak, in the Fox Glacier region….climbed from Pioneer Hut last year!

9. Annie October 4, 2013 / 3:17 pm

Thanks for the ‘like’ and great blog! I practically grew up in a Landy driving to Fraser Island – love that others consider it the pride of the road too!

• Baz - The Landy October 4, 2013 / 4:40 pm

Thanks Annie, (coughs quietly) I also have a Toyota 79 Series, but The Landy is a favourite!

10. huriquaggo September 9, 2013 / 12:51 am

Fantastic life, most awesome photos – this is what life is about, living it to its fullest. From here in Africa, we tend to watch Australians closely maybe because we have so much in common. Vast empty spaces, snow-capped mountains, a world sometimes still wild and untamed. Getting to where we have is an adventure in itself. I would just love to one day do some overlanding down under, also in NZ.

In getting there: tides have turned, it seems, as the former reliability issues with Land Rover seems to be sorted, mostly. The surprise came when the beloved Landcruiser started showing signs of unreliability. To most, this is a non-issue, but getting stuck in the desert may even be fatal. The wheels need to keep turning, as in many spots, no help can be summoned, unless you are equipped with an expensive satellite phone. Even then, help may come too late.

Australia is a proving ground for any vehicle, given its variables in climate and terrain. While researching my next purchase, I came across this wonderful site of yours, and I see that you use a 4×4 to get to where you can play outside freely. This is my idea of 4×4-ing, to get to the playpen for further adventure. The journey being an adventure, the vehicle an element of interest, yet the destination is the main focus. Getting there and back is ever important.

My research had uncovered a few things, which I will list below. I look at Oz because our own models are configured improperly by the Toyota and the Australian versions are better equipped. More practical. this is a summary of my research:

We now have the 76 wagon in my country with the 4.5-litre V8 engine, Diesel that is, with CRD and a turbo. We lament the deletion of the trusty old 4.2-litre NA and its turbocharged sibling. Like in Oz, we have seen endless problems on the TLC200 series, a vehicle built in China, and it shows. Not Toyota quality at all! Oil consumption, electronic maladies, suspensions that sag, etc. My own son got a fright when a TLC200 popped a suspension right next to where he was walking on the sidewalk. The van sagged over its ankles and there it stayed until a dealer came to piggyback it to the workshop. We have endless faith in the older models but time will tell whether it is wise to risk money on this unproven CRD engine, which by definition will have a shorter life than the old straight sixes. Then three 70-series (two 78 wagons and a ute) went on tour from Casablanca to Cape Town, being filmed for adventure TV series. Brand new, all three had their differentials replaced within 3 months of their return – why? Simply because Toyota is too stingy to fit proper diff breathers! What an idiotic omission! In researching the purchase of a new SUV, I had the luxury of time and have done extensive research. Toyota stopped producing quality vehicles with the 100 series. The newer 7- series have Hilux front diffs and gearboxes, which fail even on Hilux utes. One owner, a city dweller, had to replace his Hilux’s gearbox at 53,000km. It was out of warranty due to age and cost him a small fortune.

Then there is the global D-4D injector lament, a seemingly universal problem seen on at least three continents.

I hope that Toyota fire their bean counters, go back to the reliability we loved and also give manufacturing in China a wide berth.

• Baz - The Landy September 9, 2013 / 8:15 am

Thank you very much for dropping by and commenting. Yes we love getting Out and About, whether the mountains, or the outback – next week we head off into the outback for a week or two (never enough time)!

Kind regards, Baz – The Landy

11. azpictured August 17, 2013 / 4:33 pm

Hi Baz, thanks for stopping by my blog, liking and following. I will enjoy reading your posts 🙂

12. willc88 August 2, 2013 / 6:32 am

Hey baz, just come across your page and wanted to say good luck with the peaks! Looking forward to reading more.

13. passporttobliss June 30, 2013 / 2:34 pm

Hi Barry! I’ve nominated your blog for the “Super Sweet Blogger Award.” Please visit my post to view the rules and responsibilities for accepting. Thank you for inspiring me! Congrats!

Hey, we'd love to hear your feedback so please feel free to comment...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s