The Road to Recovery (Back at home)

Baz - Recovering
Baz – Recovering in the backyard

The miracle of modern medicine and surgery has me at home already, recovering from the surgery I had on both of my ankles late last week…

My doctor is very happy with the procedures and results.

I had an endoscopy on my right ankle to clear some bone debris from a skydiving accident in 2008, and a couple of spurs that had formed.

The left heel was opened completely and the Achilles tendon detached to repair a split which apparently was mostly due to degeneration and to clean the heel of a couple of spurs and a boney protrusion, commonly known as a Haglund’s Bump.  Because it was detached I have had to have two anchor screws placed to enable the Achilles to be sewn back on.

My sport’s doctor had tried some conventional and non-conventional non-surgical therapy on my left foot, including Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) injections that provided only moderate results.

I’m now recuperating at home and the doctor has suggested two to three weeks of complete rest to hopefully assist in a quicker recovery. Mobility is a problem as my left foot cannot take any weight at all, although my right foot can take weight, which is useful for getting around.

The plan is to progressively introduce some weight and physiotherapy to both feet over the coming month and we are hoping for a full recovery within three months.

Of course, that is the plan, and whilst it is unlikely to be earlier, it may take longer.

Baz - Grey's Peak, New Zealand
Baz – New Zealand

I have until mid-August to confirm my place on the expedition to Nepal in November, so plenty of time to recover and train, hopefully.

And to all, thanks very much for your kind words of support and I’m confident I’ll be back to doing what I love very soon…just being Out and About having fun!

Baz - Southern Alps, New Zealand
Baz – The Landy, Out and About having fun

51 thoughts on “The Road to Recovery (Back at home)

1. Sas April 17, 2013 / 1:14 am

Feel better soon Baz 🙂

• Baz - The Landy April 17, 2013 / 7:35 am

Thanks…feeling much better, just need to be patient! 🙂

2. Lin April 17, 2013 / 12:15 am

I wish you a speedy recovery!

3. trikatykid April 17, 2013 / 12:10 am

It’s inevitable that the most active of us are forced to have some down time. Spend it wisely, because believe it or not, it will be over before you know it. Enjoy some reading, board games, exploring your inner thoughts and dreams. I would say “speedy recovery” but I am more concerned with “full recovery” .. sounds like you are prepared to let your body heal, otherwise the surgery would have been for nothing.

4. Katie April 16, 2013 / 1:39 pm

Wishing you a fast recovery.

• Katie April 16, 2013 / 1:40 pm

Also, skydiving is still on my bucket list.

• Baz - The Landy April 16, 2013 / 1:56 pm

Give it a go, you’ll love it, and safe as houses, almost. Cheers, Baz

5. desertrose7 April 16, 2013 / 12:30 pm

I was watching a science documentary the other day about how the brain works. Apparently if you watch video’s on people weight training, exercising (Climbing mountains) whatever, the brain sends messages to the muscles involved and physically the benefits are quite astounding! No we can’t all sit and watch our way to fitness 🙂 but those that did fared better when it came down to the actual physical exercise, Power of the mind anyway Baz. Something you’ll need as well as good ankles! Good luck. Before you know it you’ll be dancing the happy jig (or jog) again!

• Baz - The Landy April 16, 2013 / 1:11 pm

Thanks Tracey, funny as it might seem, I’m reading about Merlin as I write, the power of the mind is awesome!

• Baz - The Landy April 16, 2013 / 1:08 pm

Thank you that is the only way, cheers, Baz

6. shenrydafrankmann April 16, 2013 / 12:05 pm

Best wishes. I just was released for moderate exercise a week ago, after having foot surgery January 10. I don’t need to say it, but find ways to keep active in the next three months. I gained 15 pounds and it’s because I rested TOO much. The good thing about the rest was that I recovered in the three months my doctor predicted and am actually able to do more a bit earlier than expected.

• Baz - The Landy April 16, 2013 / 1:07 pm

Te diet is the challenge as it is all to easy to go the “comfort food” route. Although Janet will keep me honest in this regards.

I’m hoping to be able to start some upper body exercise in a week or so, and will be into the pool swimming and walking ASAP. What did you have done if I can ask?

• shenrydafrankmann April 16, 2013 / 1:36 pm

Bunion and cheliectomy. The metatarsal and tarsal (hope I got that right) had to be cut in order to straighten out the big toe, plus the buildup at the joint had to be removed. The cut bone was fused with a plate and screws. The bunion had caused my big toe to be pulled under the second toe. Not pretty. The injury was caused by wearing cycling shoes that were a half size too small.

• shenrydafrankmann April 16, 2013 / 11:38 pm

Ran up the stairs up the hill outside my office building, back down, then back up again this morning. That was a first. Healing is good!

7. Michael April 16, 2013 / 11:21 am

Glad to hear everything went well! Best wishes through PT and beyond.

• Baz - The Landy April 16, 2013 / 1:02 pm

Thanks Michael, I’m very positive about the eventual outcome!

8. K2 April 16, 2013 / 11:13 am

I’ve often wondered if rowing actually strengthens the Achilles….and a few other tendons and muscles … Non-weight bearing, too…sounds like a perfect recovery exercise! Hahaha! Glad to hear you are doing well, Baz.

• Baz - The Landy April 16, 2013 / 1:01 pm

Possibly, although when I started back on the rower after New Zealand trip in January I was getting pain in it, which makes sense now knowing the extent of the tear. Although I also have the spin bike and that will feature in the recovery.

At least with the surgery we know how it all stands now, so with the right recovery should be like a new man, and hopefully I can knock out a better season for the team next year! Cheers Baz

9. Deliberately Delicious April 16, 2013 / 10:41 am

With your fitness level and your determination, I know you’ll be back on those mountains soon. (And the back garden doesn’t look like such a bad place to recuperate for a bit…) Take care, Baz!

• Baz - The Landy April 16, 2013 / 10:59 am

Usually very nice out there, but raining today….!!!

10. kirisyko April 16, 2013 / 9:53 am

Glad that you are back so soon!

• kirisyko April 17, 2013 / 3:08 pm

Fantastic 🙂

11. One Fit Mama April 16, 2013 / 9:46 am

Speedy recovery Baz. Feel better

12. icescreammama April 16, 2013 / 9:34 am

oh man! this must be very difficult for you. i hope you find a way to enjoy the ‘down’ time and have a speedy recovery. not too much ice cream. 😉

• Baz - The Landy April 16, 2013 / 11:08 am

Well I’ve had a couple of ice creams, Flat Stanley keeping me company, and plenty of reading to do. I’m very positive about it, it will just take a little time and patience! 🙂

13. veryberryextraordinary April 16, 2013 / 9:25 am

How about a boring ‘Speedy recovery?” Get up and climbing soon! I am sure these mountains are calling your name- and it is hard to stay put!

• Baz - The Landy April 16, 2013 / 11:03 am

Well, plenty of reading to do…so hopefully not too boring!

Comments are closed.