Herding Cats (Strewth – doing nothing is hard work)

Baz and MilO
Baz and MilO

Almost two weeks have passed since I had surgery on both ankles and recovery seems to be going well.  I’ve been getting plenty of rest on the couch, a few books, some movies, and lots of sleep.

I’ll be seeing the Doctor tomorrow and will have the stitches out and my first physiotherapy session.

But I can’t wait to get back into training for the climb in Nepal this coming November, but slowly does it…

Janet and TomO on Fox Glacier, New Zealand
Janet and TomO

And Janet & TomO have been fantastic, as usual, although Janet was heard to quip to a friend the other day, that keeping me resting is like telling our beautiful Border Collie, MilO, to sit still.

A bit like herding cats, she laughed…

MilO - The Wonder Dog
MilO – The Wonder Dog

Thanks to all for your wonderful messages of support, the best way I can repay your kind thoughts is to stand tall on those big mountains I want to climb, and give you a window into the beautiful Australian Outback at other times…

Cheers, Baz, The Landy

Baz - The Landy
Baz – The Landy

34 thoughts on “Herding Cats (Strewth – doing nothing is hard work)

1. PositiveBoomer April 26, 2013 / 1:05 am

Beautiful photos. All the best in your recovery. Renee 🙂

2. Beth April 25, 2013 / 4:39 pm

P.S. Herding cats is really hard work. That’s why I have a dog.

3. Beth April 25, 2013 / 4:38 pm

Baz… as a veteran of surgery and PT, do *everything* your PT tells you. No matter how ridiculous it sounds. Even if he/she tells you to stand on a Wii board and flap your arms like a bird. (Um, yes… I *might* have been ordered to do this to work on balance. And I might’ve groused and bellyached all the way through it, much to the amusement of every person in the medical clinic. It’s a wonder Scott hasn’t fired ME and I’m the patient.) If you do what the doc and PT tell you, you’ll be tip-top by the time they’re done with you. Meanwhile, I’ll try to come up with some crazy American words or sayings to keep you amused.

Feel better, my fine Australian friend. The adventures await you, Janet, and TomO (and MilO–can’t forget the dogperson!).

4. thefrenchcorner7690 April 24, 2013 / 9:17 pm

Howzit Baz. Because of my issues with internet access in China, I have been so slack with keeping up with blogs. I almost choked when I saw the crutches today and had to go back to catch up on what the cause was. I can only imagine that doing NOTHING for someone you is usually OUT AND ABOUT must be HARD WORK! Obviously I wish you a full recovery and sooner than you anticipate.

• Baz - The Landy April 24, 2013 / 9:21 pm

Well thank you! Long standing problem that needed to be fixed, and yes, hard work doing nothing! Fingers crossed, but I’m confident of a great outcome!

5. Deliberately Delicious April 24, 2013 / 12:54 pm

Wow. I have never seen a picture of you sitting down before, Baz. Amazing! Hang in there. You’ll be back on those mountains (and taking us along with you) in no time. And in the meantime, your dog looks like lovely company!

6. Reid and Write April 24, 2013 / 6:27 am

Wishing you a speedy and complication-free recovery!

• Baz - The Landy April 24, 2013 / 8:07 am

Seems to be that way on both counts so far…thanks!

7. vastlycurious.com April 24, 2013 / 6:18 am

Thanks for sharing a bit of your life ! Lovely family and shepherd !!

• Baz - The Landy April 24, 2013 / 8:07 am

Yes, all wonderful…and MilO the wonder dog is a great friend to us all…!

8. Cowboys and Crossbones April 24, 2013 / 3:00 am

Baz! Speedy recovery to you – now crack open a “Bundy” already and enjoy this period of rest as much as you can (although if you’re like a Border Collie…not happening). MilO is beautiful, by the way. Oh, and Teddy took a little offense to the title of this post! 🙂

• Baz - The Landy April 24, 2013 / 8:06 am

Thanks, and yes I can see that Teddy might have, not that he’d ever be one to be “herded” !

9. icescreammama April 24, 2013 / 2:18 am

sitting still can be almost as hard as climbing a mountain… except this one is in your head. baby steps. you’re almost there. 🙂 love that pix of tomo and janet and of course milo!!

• Baz - The Landy April 24, 2013 / 9:06 pm

Saw the Doc today, all on track, and yes, baby steps, strewth…! And by BTW we’ll get Flat Stan Out and About for some fun over the next week or so! 🙂 A bit, well, caught up you might say just recently!!

• icescreammama April 24, 2013 / 10:41 pm

so happy to hear it!! i know how hard it must be for you. 🙂

10. honeydidyouseethat? April 24, 2013 / 1:45 am

Glad you are keeping your sense of humour. John would be bat S@#T crazy by now.

• Baz - The Landy April 24, 2013 / 9:04 pm

Well yeah, strewth, still got a sense of humour, but crikey, who said I wasn’t bat S@#T crazy!!! 😉

11. greenmackenzie April 24, 2013 / 1:06 am

Beautiful MilO, he looks like a proper wonder dog pounding through that surf 🙂 good luck at physio…you might be glad of a rest after that 🙂

• Baz - The Landy April 24, 2013 / 8:57 pm

Thank you…all went well today, that is to say, all on track! And Um, MilO is a girl, but you could say she is a bit of a Tom Boy! 🙂

• greenmackenzie April 25, 2013 / 4:29 am

Oops sorry MilO…no offence meant 🙂

12. Mountainstroh (Tony) April 23, 2013 / 11:45 pm

I hate being layer up with an injury. Two days after my only half marathon I had surgery and I was down for weeks! Drove my family nuts!

13. Smash April 23, 2013 / 11:19 pm

Good luck with your recovery Baz! I hope it’s a speedy one so you can get back to your usual self. 🙂

• Baz - The Landy April 24, 2013 / 8:08 am

Thank you, generally still my usual self, just can’t do the usual things 😉

14. sweetlybalanced April 23, 2013 / 10:42 pm

Awe at least you have that adorable doggie to keep you company while you recover!

• Baz - The Landy April 24, 2013 / 9:03 pm

Isn’t she lovely…a bit of a Tom Boy 😉 and a bit bossy, such is the nature of a border collie

15. desertrose7 April 23, 2013 / 10:42 pm

Beautiful dog…yeah, they always need to be kept busy!
    Glad to hear you’re on the mend. Hope the physio goes well.

• Baz - The Landy April 24, 2013 / 9:02 pm

All went well thanks, and yes MilO is a great mate!

Comments are closed.